Monday, January 10, 2011

Miniature Monday - Victorian Chocolate Shop!

For some, birthdays aren’t as exciting as when we were children.  In my family birthdays are a big deal, and we always celebrate in one way or another.    One year for my birthday, I was lucky enough to get a workshop with my favorite Miniature Artisan, Bluette Meloney (click here for her website .)

The workshop, a 1/12th scale Victorian era Chocolate Shop, was hosted by the Tee Ridder Museum on Long Island.  Five glorious days of non-stop building and technique learning.  I was exhausted, but it was sooooooo worth it!

The structure itself began life as pieces of wood, foam core, bits of plastic and cardstock.  The outside is faux-finished to look like marble.  The stones are made from air dry clay.  The removable roof was wood covered with a three step patina technique.  All of the wood trim was stained and aged.

Bluette’s projects always capture the tiniest details.  The stained glass windows took me three weeks to complete, but I wanted to take my time and get it done right!  I purchased the delicate door handles at the IGMA show.

The beautiful display windows feature parquet floors and yummy chocolate made from polymer clay.   The interior and exterior floors are mosaic tile.  Step inside the shop – the furniture is from Bespaq except for the display counter which was made by a very talented English artist whose name I can’t remember (YIKES!) 

The back of the shop has a false wall to give the illusion of an office on the left of the shelf, and the kitchen to the right of the shelf.  I created a “chocolate making in progress butcher block” that sits just inside the doorway.  Above the butcher block is a pot rack with gorgeous copper pots by J.Getzan ( click here for his website .)   I love the way it looks like the chef just stepped away!


The chocolate goodies are a combination of ones that I made, were gifted to me, or I purchased.  The coffee and tea sets on the tables are made by Carolyn Eiche from Carolyn’s Creations here in NY. 

A few of the dolls are inexpensive resin figures.  The two serving ladies are finely made hand painted and dressed porcelain dolls by English Artisan Clara Cribb (I found her on EBAY.)

Hope you enjoyed the tour!
Thanks for looking,
Ketsia

4 comments:

  1. Ketsia,

    Your work is just stunning! You have infinite patience to create such intricate, life-like scenes.

    Beautiful,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ketsia, your work is simply STUNNING! I am honored to own a piece of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous! I love the way your scenes are true to life...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que gran trabajo, me encanta esta tienda!!

    ReplyDelete